Friday 29 July 2011

Thing 7: professional organisations

Professional organisations:

Being a member of a professional organisation can be very useful for someone who works in a fairly isolated environment and does not have the chance to meet regularly with colleagues in the profession. I have been a member of CILIP since I was student at Librarianship School. I like to check its website regularly looking for up to date information and discussions regarding the profession. The membership allowed me to access and receive a number of publications.   
A couple of years ago I joined SLA (School Library Association). I’m finding its website useful in terms of practical advice and ideas for celebrating events.

As a result of taking part in 23 things I'm now linked to LISNPN. I would recommend, International Association of School Librarianship as its' membership is worldwide and includes school librarians, teachers, librarians, library advisers, consultants, educational administrators and others who are responsible for library and information services in schools. http://www.iasl-online.org

Face- to- face networking:

It has been a long time since I have attended this kind of networking. Simply, I have been working in Africa for quite sometime and it is not easy to meet with other fellow librarians, at least in the countries where I was and am still working.

Would E networking replace face to face networking? I have come across some librarians who no longer see the importance of face to face networking. They argue that E networking (blogs and e discussions) are more beneficial and less hassle than having to travel somewhere to attend a workshop or conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment